Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Weaning Emily

Emily has been pretty much weaned now except for the nursing session before bedtime. I'm having a hard time deciding on a last day. The past year has gone by fast and other than the first couple of weeks of learning how to breast feed, it has been really smooth. At this point, she is ready and I am too....almost. Every time I think, "OK, this is it baby girl" she will fall asleep in my arms all snuggled in close and I think, "Well, maybe another week!" She is SO precious and sweet! I love our cuddle time before bed. We leave for vacation in less than two weeks and I told myself I would wean her by then. I don't want to try to do any big changes while on vacation or a few days before we leave. So I'm left with cutting her off this week or after vacation. I'm not ready for my baby to grow up, but it appears that she has anyway.

Here is how I weaned Emily:

Breast fed exclusively for 5 1/2 mon.
Started solids at 5 1/2 mon (rice and wheat baby cereals)
Started slowly introducing veggies and fruits at 6 mon.
Added yogurts at 9 or 10 mon.
Introduced other meats/proteins at 10-11 mon (she still doesn't eat meat that well, but likes beans, cheese and eggs)
More and more finger foods after 9-10 mon.
Started supplementing some formula after 10 mon (3 breast feedings/day and one formula bottle)
At 11 mon, dropped another breast feeding time (2 breast feedings/day and two formula bottles/day)
At 12 mon. dropped another breast feeding time (1 breast feeding/day and 16-20 oz/day of whole milk by sippy cup or bottle)

So here we are at 13 mon. Time to say good-bye to the boobie Emily. Mama loves you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment