Friday, December 16, 2011

First Potty Poo

So for weeks now, Emily has been able to peepee on her little potty pretty regularly, but has been really hesitant to poop on the potty. Lately, she will even go to the bathroom, shut the door, and poop in her diaper and then come tell me to change her (or take her own diaper off if you don't come fast enough!) I knew she was getting pretty close to learning to go on the potty. Well, she finally did it yesterday!

Funny thing is that she has been sick since Tuesday--high fever, runny nose--doctor said it was a virus so we've been waiting for it to go away. Little girl hasn't been feeling well so I really haven't been pushing her to use the potty, but I will take her when she asks. Yesterday, she said she needed to go to the bathroom. She shuts the bathroom door and tells me, "No mommy, I do it myself." I'm thinking, "great, she's going to make a mess", but I respect her "privacy" and kind of listen and keep the door cracked. She's so dang independent already.

Several minutes later I hear the potty bucket hitting the toilet and I'm concerned that she's trying to dump out the contents. I walked in and saw that Emmy did her #2 business in the little potty and was trying to put it in the toilet to flush. I was so proud and happy! Of course I made a really big deal about her going in the potty for the first time and gave her a special treat. Then, we called Daddy and the grandparents to let them know that Emily did her first poo poo in the potty.

We still have a LONG way to go with potty training, but it is good to see her making connections and understanding. Toddlers get so busy and distracted that it is hard to remember to make them go regularly. After the holidays, I'm hoping to stay home with her for a few days and do a potty "boot camp" (ie. no pull-ups or diapers during the day and only use training panties.) It will be hard, but I think we will make faster progress that way. We'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment