Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First Trip to the Dentist

Today was Emily's first trip to the dentist! I am so proud of her. She did great! We've already experienced most of our "firsts" these days, so I totally ran off without a camera this morning. (The appointment was pretty early at 8:45.) So, forgive the poor photo quality, but I'm just thankful to get a snapshot. Emily's dental hygienist took a couple of photos with her phone and e-mailed them to us. Originally, today was just going to be a cleaning check-up for me. I called yesterday to see if they could change it to an appointment for Emily instead and they were kind enough to work us both in this morning.

Last night and this morning, we talked to Emily to let her know she was going to the "tooth doctor" or "dentist." We tried not to sneak this one in on her! She sat quietly on the floor and watched a "Thomas" movie and ate some snacks while I got my teeth cleaned first. (I really couldn't believe that she wasn't running wild all over the office. Thank you, God!) Every so often, the hygienist and I would encourage her that mommy was doing fine, the equipment wasn't hurting me, etc. When I was finished, she actually started climbing up into the chair and said, "It's my turn." I sat at the end of the dental chair, but didn't hold her. For part of the time, I held her movie up in the air so she could be a little distracted with that. I can't say enough praise about how patient her dental hygienist was! She let Emily feel the "spinning tooth brush" on her finger before she put it on her tooth. She let her see her teeth in the little mirror, etc. Emily has 18 of her 20 primary teeth. The top 2 yr. old molars are in and the bottom ones are just starting to make an appearance. I think everything checked out fine. Dr. C. didn't mention that anything was wrong. I am just so proud of my little girl today! We stopped by the library to play and get new books on our way home. I'm thinking a trip to the toy store is in order, but we haven't made it yet. We went to the park instead since it is almost 50 deg. in Louisville today! Blue skies and sunny January day! Yes, please!!!


Dr. C. counts Emily's teeth

First trip to the dentist.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed! If going to the dentist is anything like our trips to get his haircut, then I'm not looking forward to this at all!!! Good job Emmy!

    ReplyDelete