Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reading

Every year Jeremy and I get several new books for Christmas and it always reminds me how much I really love to read. I really should try to get involved in a book club. I would much rather devour a good book than sit mindlessly on the couch while channel surfing. I just read my first book, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, on our i-pad using the Kindle app. Even though this book is pretty controversial as far as parenting styles go, I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I don't agree with a lot of the author's techniques, but I love how she is raising disciplined girls and helping them achieve excellence. I definitely think that our children can achieve far more when they know that their parents expect the best from them.

Now I'm onto Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters which is one of Jeremy's books that I steal off of his nightstand every chance I get. This book kind of scares me to death with some of the subject matter to consider for raising and protecting our daughter, but at the same time, it has made me thankful for the amazing father Jeremy is to to Emily. He is totally in love with our child and just having a strong, faithful man in her life will protect her from many of the temptations this world will throw at her. Reading this book also brings to mind special times with my Dad as it is impossible to read a book about my husband's influence on our daughter without thinking about the influences of my father on me. During one of the chapters, it talks about the importance of having one on one time with your daughter and really listen and give your undivided attention. This made me think about times Dad would come straight home from work and play basketball or hit softballs out in the field with me until dark. Or when each of my siblings and I would have a date night with Dad around Christmas time when we would go out for dinner and shop for Mom's Christmas gift (hadn't thought about that in years...) This book is jogging lots of memories!

I'm also reading Ann Voskamp's A Thousand Gifts. I'm on Chapter 4 and so far I've cried almost every time I've read it because it is so moving. The first chapter KILLED ME! Jeremy took one look at me and said, "Did something just happen to a little girl in that book?" and I choked out, "yes." I've always known that it was good to give thanks and to "count your blessings", but this book is teaching me in a new way and yet she always relates everything back to scripture. I can only read a short amount a day and really absorb the lessons. I'm trying not to hurry through it as that is exactly what she is encouraging us NOT to do--don't hurry through your life. "Life is not an emergency..."

Tonight during quiet cuddle time with Emily, I read her a book about the New Year and I told her, "You are going to turn 3 this year." Emily said, "I don't want to, I'm two." I reminded her that whether she wanted to or not, she was going to turn 3 years old this year and none of us could stop time. "I didn't want to turn 34 this year, but I did." I hugged her and told her that she could be two for a good long while yet.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post as it opened my eyes to a few books and reminded me of another reason why I wish we lived closer to one another.

    I need to start forcing myself to read more. I love it, but don't make enough time for it.

    I have a had a tough few weeks, which I will call and tell you all about this week, but I am also going to finally take the time to shoot you an email with dates and spring training links.

    Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete