Tuesday, January 29, 2013

4 Months Old

Caleb turned four months old Wednesday January 23rd. Last night, I looked back at photos from Christmas and it is very apparent that he has grown quite a bit since then. I took him to his pediatrician today. He had a great well baby check-up. He is meeting his milestones as expected and his growth is consistent. People often tell me that he looks big for his age, but I think it is just all of that hair that confuses people because he is an average sized baby. His height and weight are right around 50th percentile.


 1/23/13
Height: 24 3/4 in.
Weight: 15 lbs. 6 oz.
Head circumference: 16 in.




Here's a photo of Caleb's hair before Jeremy and I trimmed it. We were very conservative and only trimmed the nape of his neck even though he could have used trimming all over! Notice the little bald spot. My Memommy says that this is a sign of a good baby. Because he is content to not be held all the time, he's rubbed a bald spot!  

Brother and sister playing

Emily likes to pretend she's asleep.

 Tummy time. Holding that head up really well now.

After bath photo
Wonder what he's thinking?

Eating and Sleeping Habits

Caleb nurses about every 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours during the day. Some nights he sleeps through the night and sometimes he's up one or two times. Last night he went to bed at 8pm. I woke him at 11:30 for a diaper change and feeding, and then he slept until 7:30 the next morning. The night before was horrible. He was really restless and woke up several times. I think we stayed out too late. It's sad that getting home after 8:30pm is now "staying out late." He takes three naps a day. Morning nap is consistent. Afternoon naps are less so and can be a couple of short naps of about one hour each or a longer 2-3 hour nap. 

Milestones, Discoveries, and Accomplishments

~ Holds toys and manipulates them a little with his hands. Brings them up to his mouth.

~Reaches out for toys that are given to him. Reaches up to bat and kick toys attached to activity mat.

~Sits up well for short periods of time in the Bumbo seat.

~Prefers for us to hold him on our laps so he can sit up during family meal time (versus lying reclined in his baby swing or Rock N Play seat.)

~Holds head fairly level with body when I pull him to sitting.

~Laughs out loud at funny sounds, noises, or big sister's antics.

~Short books hold his attention for a few minutes.

And a little note to Caleb:

Caleb, you are a joy! I'm in love with your dark eyes and soft baby skin and hair. I love the dimples on your hands and elbows and the creases on your legs. They remind me that you are healthy and growing. My favorite time to nurse you is that special time before I go to bed. I gently rouse you and pick you up. You still stretch your arms overhead, arch your back, and tuck your legs up tight like a newborn. It won't be much longer that you will do that and it is the cutest thing ever. Your Daddy and I laugh at how you already want to be part of family dinner time. It's like you are afraid you'll miss out on something. You are most content sitting in our lap so you can watch us eat. I think you are going to love your high chair, but I'm in no hurry to get it out. That will be just another sign you're growing up all too fast. I love watching you learn to use your hands.  You stretch out your arm and open those tiny fingers in slow motion. It won't be long before those actions will be smooth and swift. I'm so thankful that God has blessed me with two precious children.

Love,

Mommy







No comments:

Post a Comment