Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Great Day to be Home with the Kids

A few weeks ago, I wrote about some of the more frustrating aspects of being home with the kids full time. Today I thought I'd share some of the blessings. Every day has its blessings. Sometimes they are just more obvious than at other times. As I write this, it is 3:45 pm. I would have missed ALL of this had I been at work today.

7:15 am Caleb wakes up on his own. Emmy is still dozing from a late night out celebrating Dinkney's birthday yesterday. Jeremy sleepily changes Caleb and brings him to me to nurse in bed. After feeding him, we cuddle in bed for several minutes playing and kissing the little guy who is in the sweetest mood. Emmy wakes up and jumps in bed with us. We don't have much time, but before we have to get ready for the day, we have some good snuggles.

9:15 am After dropping off Emily at preschool, I take Caleb for a long morning walk. He naps on/off in the stroller as I walk 2 1/4 miles at the park. It is a BEAUTIFUL day. Warm, pleasant spring weather. The trees and flowers are blooming. I run into a friend from work on his day off and we walk 10 minutes together catching up on all the work happenings.

10:30 am I feed Caleb on a park bench after my walk. Sip water, read a small devotional, and pray.

12:00 noon I pick up Emily from school. Surprise her with a picnic lunch and a trip to Big Rock in Cherokee Park. She has made a Derby hat and is eager to show me.

12:15 pm We eat lunch as Emily darts back and forth to Beargrass Creek. She just wants to play, but I convince her to eat at least half her sandwich first. Caleb is sitting on a quilt on the ground and chewing on his teether.

12:30 pm I strap Caleb into the Ergo carrier and we all go "hiking" down the pathway that follows the creek. We find a couple of blue bird eggs. We see some dogs splashing in the water. We see a few people, but overall it feels quiet and secluded. It doesn't feel like we are in a huge park in the middle of the city.

1:10 pm Time to go home. We enjoyed sticking our feet in the cool water. Emily could easily stay all day, but Caleb is almost asleep in the Ergo and needs his afternoon nap. We load up and head home.

I could go on with a few more special moments, but you get the idea. It was a beautiful day. Even with Emily being at preschool for three hours, I still had plenty of time with her. When she wakes up from her nap, we're going to have popsicles outside.

Gotta go. Caleb is whining that he is finished playing on his own...


No comments:

Post a Comment