Friday, April 5, 2013

Easter 2013

Easter came kind of early this year at the end of a long March that refused to yield to spring. We kept hoping that the weather would get better, but instead we had more snow in March than we did in December! Easter weekend warmed up a tiny bit and we were thankful. 

I have new appreciation for how my Mom and Dad used to get three kids dressed and ready for Easter morning AND take photos before church. That didn't happen with us. The morning rush was crazier than usual because we had to get two kids dressed in their Easter clothes, eat breakfast, brush teeth, fix hair, nurse Caleb, load up food to take for Easter lunch, load up a diaper bag and changes of clothes for everyone and go through Emily's Easter basket all before 9:40 am. I prepped us much as I could the night before, but at this stage in our lives, it is just very hard to be at our "Sunday best" so early in the morning.

I loved Emily and Caleb's matching Easter outfits. It was only the second time they have had coordinating brother/sister outfits. (The first time was when he was a newborn and I had matching big sis/little brother shirts made.) I know a lot of people don't like their boys to wear Jon Jons and a peter pan collar shirt, but I love this kind of classic outfit for special occasions. Caleb won't be wearing this when he's three years old, but I much prefer this for a baby. I LOVE seeing his sweet little legs. They have been covered up all winter. I'm so glad we can start dressing him in more shortalls. 

All of these photos were taken at Dinkney and Poppy's house after church.

This is one of my favorites of Dinkney and Poppy and the kids



 I have the cutest guys in my life!



 Caleb is very generous with his kisses. Glad we finally captured one on camera.

And he already loves for us to hold him high in the air and bring him down quickly.

 I Love my baby boy! Can't you tell he's mine? 


Jeremy and I are not emphasizing the Easter Bunny with Emily. I don't see how it adds anything to the holiday and if anything, I think it can detract from the true meaning. Emily is just as excited to get a basket from us or her grandparents than some fictional bunny. We read Emily several age appropriate Easter books, both secular and Christian, leading up to Easter. We enjoyed an evening dyeing Easter eggs. She participated in a couple of Easter egg hunts. I enjoy these traditions, but somehow I just couldn't make a big deal about the Easter bunny. Emily didn't ask a lot of questions about it and we didn't make up stories to tell her. What made me most happy was seeing her excitement to show me a paper from Sunday School. She said, "Look mommy, they are saying "Hosanna, Hosanna to Jesus and these are palm branches!"

We allowed Emily to go to "big church" with us on Easter morning. The music is always so beautiful and I wanted to share that with her. We sang all the traditional songs: "Crown Him With Many Crowns," "He Lives," Christ the Lord Is Risen Today," etc. St. Matthews has a tradition to ring bells during the "Alleluiah" part of the latter song. I knew Emily wold love the bells, but was surprised that she didn't want to ring ours. She just stood quietly beside us taking it all in. She was very well behaved although the sermon got a little long for her. We ended the service with Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" played by the orchestra and sung by the choir and any other church members who knew the parts. I joined in the choir to sing the alto line. Singing songs from The Messiah always brings me back to my college chorale days at Georgetown.




 Checking out their goodies from Dinkney and Poppy

 Kisses from Big Sis.

 Hmm, what did you get Caleb?

 Hmm, what did you get Emmy?

 Sweet brown eyed boy


Happy Easter Everyone!

He Lives

I serve a Risen Savior,
He's in the world today;
I know that he is living,
Whatever men may say;
I see his hand of mercy,
I hear his voice of cheer,
And just the time I need him,
He's always near.

(refrain)
He lives, he lives,
Christ Jesus Lives Today!
He walks with me and talks with me
Along Life's narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart.
You ask me how I know he lives:
He lives within my heart.

Rejoice, rejoice O Christian,
Lift up your voice and sing,
Eternal Hallelujahs to Jesus Christ the King!
The hope of all who seek Him,
the help of all who find,
None other is so loving,
So good and kind.

He Lives! (refrain)

*Lyrics by Alfred Ackley

No comments:

Post a Comment