Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Happy Half Birthday

Caleb had his half birthday March 23rd and Jeremy and I celebrated that by getting out of town for the day! Ha! Seriously, Mom watched Caleb and Emily for us that Saturday so we could watch the Cards play their 2nd NCAA game at Rupp Arena. It was fun and a wonderful escape from the day to day Mommy duties for me. Although you never really escape so long as you are nursing. I pumped in the car on the way there and back. I have always loved the six month mark. Babies at this age are full of personality and joy. They aren't usually crawling or getting into too much trouble, but have gained the ability to sit up unsupported and play more purposefully with their toys.

We survived the first illness (RSV) without too much difficulty. It was inconvenient, but could have been worse, for sure. Emily has a little cold now which of course Caleb caught, too. I tried to keep her out of his face, but that was futile. Caleb had a fever all day after his six month shots. He was really pitiful yesterday. The timing was strange. I couldn't tell if he was feeling poorly because he caught Emily's cold or if it was from the shots. It all happened at once. I would have never taken him in for his well check-up yesterday if I thought he was sick. Today we are dealing with cold symptoms and a low grade fever.




Height: 26 1/2 in
Weight: 16 lbs 13 oz.
Head Circumference: 16 9/16 in.
Height and Weight are around 50th percentile; 
Head circumference about 25th percentile.



Milestones, Discoveries, and Accomplishments:

~Caleb is sitting up unsupported! He's still a little "tippy," but he can definitely do it. He started doing the tripod sit   at about 5 1/2 months. Now at six months and a week he is sitting up pretty well and holding it for several minutes at a time or until he reaches too far out of his base of support. I still put the boppy around him to help him sit longer while playing. He doesn't usually get too upset when he tips over. He will roll over to his back or belly and keep on playing.

~Rolls easily from back and belly.

~Showing more movements during floor time. I used to be able to leave the room briefly and the little guy would still be in the same position. Now I can leave the room and come back and he has moved two or three feet and isn't on his activity mat anymore.

~We introduced solids on his six month birthday. We have tried oat baby cereal, bananas and pumpkin. He isn't impressed with any of it. I've only been trying solids for a week and I know I must be patient. At this point, he doesn't even really open his mouth when I present the spoon and food. When I manage to get a little bit on his lips and tongue, he just makes a face like "What the heck is that?"





 First feeding. It's like he's saying, "You can't make me!"

 A typical reaction!


~Plays with his feet and toes all the time, but hasn't tried to put them in his mouth.

~I noticed just this week that he appears to be raising his arms for me to pick him up when he's in his bed or on his changing table. I LOVE when babies start to reach out for you to hold them. 

~He's into tags on everything. Loves playing with the taggie toys or any tag on a stuffed animal. I've also noticed him using a raking motion with his fingers to try to "pick up" things. In particular, I've noticed that he sees the fabric pattern on his crib sheet and is trying to pick it up . 

~Vocalizes a lot. Or maybe I should say playfully screams a lot? He is definitely experimenting with the power of his voice. While trying on Easter clothes in a dressing room, I placed Caleb on the floor facing a mirror. He proceeded to scream out loud at his expression for the entire time I was in the store. I had to assure the store clerk that he was fine. Luckily, she had a six month old at home, too, and was sympathetic.

Sleeping Habits:

Caleb takes a morning nap after he has been up for a couple of hours. The morning nap is about 45 min. to one hour although he will occasionally nap longer. He takes his afternoon nap about two hours after the morning nap. Second nap is usually about 12:30 to 2:30. We have a plan A and plan B nap "schedule." Sometimes Caleb cat naps in the car on the way to/from preschool and doesn't get a good morning nap. When that happens, he usually takes a few short "naps" in the car and then a long nap later in the afternoon. Sometimes I like this better because then his nap overlaps with Emily's nap time more. Caleb goes to bed at about 7:30 pm and wakes up 0-2 times at night. Lately, he has awakened at about 4 or 5 am and I will feed him, put him back to sleep and then he wakes up a decent hour later (like after 7 am.) Sometimes he will wake up at around midnight AND early in the morning.  He was sleeping better a few weeks ago than he is now. I am hoping that once he is eating more solids, he will stop waking up as much. Maybe he is going through a growth spurt? I don't know. Hopefully we are not developing bad habits. I know sometimes babies wake up for comfort or habit and it has nothing to do with whether they are hungry or not.





Eating Habits:

Still nurses about every three hours during the day. Sleeps through most of the night with one feeding (or none). Introducing solids now, but we are getting more on his face and bib than in his stomach. I am currently feeding him once a day with solids and plan to bump that up to twice a day as soon as he "gets it." 

Sample "Schedule"

7:30- Wakes up for the day; feeding
9:30-10:30 am: Morning nap
11 am: Feeding
12:30-2:30: Afternoon Nap
2:30 Feeding
5:30 Feeding
7:30 pm Feeding and off to bed! :)
??? another feeding if he wakes up at 3 or 4 or 5 am. Then, back to sleep.

I place "schedule" in parenthesis because this is just a rough approximation of how a day might go. There are a lot of variables, especially how long naps are. I try to stay reasonably consistent with how often he eats and how long he has been awake so he doesn't get too hungry or sleepy. 


First Easter 


And a note to Caleb:

Dear Caleb,

Buddy, what happened? You were sleeping so well and now you are waking me up again! I know you are growing so maybe I need to give you more food or more milk. I know you had a yucky illness, a time change and then another cold so maybe you just need me more right now and that is OK, too. Daddy and I hope you get with the program soon. xoxo. On the positive side, I know I don't get to hold you and rock you as much as I would like during the day so the nights are good for extra snuggles. Thank you for going right back to sleep.

We gave you your first haircut at five and a half months and yes, you needed it! We tried to even up your hair a bit. It was really long over your ears and too long on top, but really short where you had rubbed a bald spot a few months ago. That has filled in nicely now! Ms. Val did a great job and just in time for Easter!

I love that I can carry you on my hip now. You have good head and trunk control! You look so cute and little on my hip. I'm glad that you still like our Ergo infant carrier. I promise we will buy a double stroller for you and Emily soon! Until then, we will take short walks and I'll hold you close to me.

You are such a sweet, happy boy. Even when I'm exhausted, it is easy to look at you and be completely, totally thankful for my son.

Love always,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment